The News Room
新闻编辑室(The Newsroom S01E01)
Creator:Aaron Sorkin

美國不是最偉大的國家 教授
It's not the greatest country in the world, Professor.
這就是我的答案
That's my answer.

你們吵來吵去 消耗的不是錢 是一次次投票
It doesn't cost money, it costs votes.
浪費廣播時間和專欄長度
It costs airtime and column inches.


為什么人們不喜歡自由主義者
You know why people don't like liberals?
因為他們總是輸
Because they lose.
要是他們有那么聰明
If liberals are so fuckin' smart,
又怎么會他媽一次都沒贏過
how come they lose so goddamn always?


有些事你是要知道的
there are some things you should know,
比如 你的問題根本毫無根據
and one of them is there is absolutely no evidence to support the statement
美國是世上最偉大的國家嗎
that we're the greatest country in the world.
我們識字率排第7 數學第27
We're seventh in literacy, 27th in math,
科學排第22 預期壽命第49
22nd in science, 49th in life expectancy,
嬰兒死亡率排178
178th in infant mortality,
中等家庭收入排第3
third in median household income,
勞動力排第4 出口額排第4
number four in labor force, and number four in exports.
只有三項 我們是榜首
We lead the world in only three categories:
監禁人員所占總人口比重
Number of incarcerated citizens per capita,
相信天使的成年人數量
number of adults who believe angels are real,
和國防開支
and defense spending where we spend
這項支出比后面26個國家的總和還多
more than the next 26 countries combined,
其中25個還是盟國
25 of whom are allies.


當然 這都不是你這個20歲大學生的錯
Now, none of this is the fault of a 20-year-old college student,
但你卻毋庸置疑
but you nonetheless are without a doubt
生活在這個史上最糟糕最悲劇的年代
a member of the worst period generation period ever period.
所以你問我是什么造就了
So when you ask what makes us
這個最偉大的國度
the greatest country in the world,
我真不懂你他媽在放什么狗屁
I don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
國家公園嗎
Yosemite?


我們的確輝煌過
We sure used to be.
我們為正義而拼
We stood up for what was right.
為道德而戰
We fought for moral reasons.
因合乎道德而立良法 因違背道德而廢惡法
We passed laws, struck down laws for moral reasons.
我們要消滅的是貧窮 不是窮人
We waged wars on poverty, not poor people.
甘愿犧牲 關心鄰里
We sacrificed. We cared about our neighbors.
勤勞踏實 不空口說大話
We put our money where our mouths were and we never beat our chest.
我們有過偉大的發明
We built great big things,
有過逆天的科學創造
made ungodly technological advances,
探索太空 治愈疾病
explored the universe, cured diseases,
培育出了最出色的藝術家
and we cultivated the world's greatest artists
和最強盛的經濟體
and the world's greatest economy.
我們敢于挑戰 同時心懷謙遜
We reached for the stars, acted like men.
我們追求智慧 不自負
We aspired to intelligence. We didn't belittle it.
并沒有因此降了身價
It didn't make us feel inferior.
我們不憑"投票給了誰"來區分人
We didn't identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election
也不像現在 如此輕易畏懼
and we didn't... we didn't scare so easy.


以前之所以能做到這些
Ahem, we were able to be all these things
是因為我們信息充足
and do all these things because we were informed.
有受人尊敬的偉大人物告知我們
By great men, men who were revered.
解決問題的第一步
The first step in solving any problem
是要承認問題的存在
is recognizing there is one.
美國再也不是世上最偉大的國家了
America is not the greatest country in the world anymore.
滿意了
Enough?


※中文字幕:人人影视字幕组原创翻译

本新闻由 YYeTs News 诚意报道
撰稿人:free维塔、小榴莲、leona_lui、请叫我擦擦、allen0314、cheeseflower
审稿人:cheeseflower、fransky
后期制作:Xaviano
场记:渔夫
制片人:fransky



※補充看完第一季10集的心得(2012/8/31):

我覺得作者描寫了一個高度共識的專業團隊,其實類似的影集我們也看過,那就是「CSI犯罪現場」系列,它們「共享」的特徵是,因為劇情內容是 Case by Case 的關係(時間軸是斷裂的),劇中角色的人際關係(在 The Newsroom 中是愛情),常常只能在「茶壺」內打轉,跨不出 the newsroom。

在 The Newsroom 中,如果新聞倫理是作者欲言之志,那麼錯綜複雜的男女感情,目前看起來是向收視率市場的妥協(而且還收到反效果?)。

劇情這一整季看下來,一開始的熱情感動,逐漸被作者的單向的說教意圖,搞得有點意態闌珊。Aaron Sorkin 個人的視野的確限制了這齣美劇。

arrow
arrow
    全站熱搜

    fuhoren 發表在 痞客邦 留言(1) 人氣()